We’re so excited to share our next Cheeky party! Each season we partner with amazing creatives, and for spring we chose Kara Whitten of Kailo Chic!
Kara is the designer and blogger behind Kailo Chic and A Kailo Chic Life. Color and pattern are her best friends and she incorporates them into every party of her life from home decor, to DIY projects, to the food that she eats. We love Kara's work so it was a no brainer that we selected her to feature our new collection!
Kara took a look at our new party designs and knew she wanted to throw a garden party to match our floral patterns.
We're dying for spring to start now! Visit her blog to learn the ins and outs of this beautiful and colorful party.
We asked Kara to share her top five entertaining tips to throw your own Cheeky party.
- The first thing you want to do when planning a party is to pick a theme. Think about the time of year, the occasion, and who's attending. In the summer you might want to throw a pool party with bright color pops, but in the winter a craft party inside by the fire.
- Once you have your theme, it's time to start picking your colors. By choosing a few colors and carrying them throughout, your party will automatically seem cohesive and the theme will stand out quickly. The colors you choose can be brought in through everything from flowers and balloons to plates, napkins, and the food that you serve. For example, I was inspired by the colors on the floral paper plates, so I brought in flowers in a similar palate. Add in a few balloons and good food and I had myself the perfect garden party for spring.
- Next it's onto the decorations. For my party I used the same paper plates and napkins that I was using on the table to create decor for the party. The plates turned into party streamers with a few simple cuts and the napkins into delicate paper flowers for the arrangements. You can even turn the napkins into paper fans or use a large shaped punch on the paper plates to create table confetti that is all in the same color palate as your party. Decorations are fairly inexpensive to DIY and even more so when you use what you already have!
- Now that you have your theme and decorations, it's time to think about food. Unless you are throwing a full on seated dinner party, snacks, sweets, and sips are all you need. Something to munch on and something to drink are perfect! And no need to make it all yourself if that's not your thing. Simply plating store bought goodies on a pretty serving dish and adding a few fresh elements like rosemary sprigs, cut citrus, or fruit, you will make the food look like you slaved away for hours!
- The final step to throwing the perfect party would be the mood. You want to create the mood with music and lighting. A quite dinner party might have dim lights and a solemn soundtrack in the background, while a pool party is all about that sunlight and poppy tunes! So think about your parties theme and plan your playlist and lighting accordingly.
You know you need some good tunes in the background to complete your party. Here are Kara's favorites:
- Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears
- Say Something Loving - The xx
- Heaven in Black - Imperialists
- Breakers - Local Natives
- Angela - Lumineers
- Myth - Beach House
- Never Ending Circles - CHVRCHES
- Reverend - Kings of Leon
- I Feel It Coming - The Weeknd
- Smooth Sailing - Leon Bridges
Check out her playlist on Spotify!
Thank you to Kara for the amazing styling of this garden party, for sharing her tricks of the trade on entertaining, and her perfect party playlist! Head on over to A Kailo Chic Life for more details on her Cheeky party! She's also giving away a garden party box on her Instagram!
Shop our new party line exclusively at Target, and remember that for each pack sold, Cheeky donates one meal to those facing hunger right here in the U.S.